Skip to main content
Skip to main content.

Spousal Support


When a couple separates or divorces, the Court may order one spouse to pay the other a certain amount of support money each month. This is called "spousal support."

The Judge will take many things into consideration when deciding what spousal support should be ordered.

Examples of some things the Judge may consider are:
  • How long the couple has been married;
  • The age and health of each spouse;
  • How much income each can earn on their own;
  • What the expenses of each spouse are;
  • Whether there are minor children at home; and
  • The history of the way the couple handled money during the marriage.

If the local child support agency is currently helping you collect (enforce) a child support order for a child living with you in the same home from your spouse or former spouse, the local child support agency can help you collect (enforce) the spousal support order along with the child support order.

Forms & Fees

A filing fee will be charged to file a Request for Spousal Support. To find the current fee, please see our fee schedule. If you cannot afford the filing fee, you may complete a Fee Waiver Application.

Resources & Related Links

Was this helpful?

This question is for testing whether or not you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.